Choosing For My Loved One
How to Choose a Seniors Living Home
We want to help you when you are assisting your loved one to choose the Seniors Living option that is best for them.
An informed decision is the best choice. With so many services and feature options available today, you want to be confident in choosing a community that best suits your needs; a home that provides comfort, support, and peace of mind.
The Positive Benefits of Choosing Seniors Living:
- Companionship in a community of friendly residents and Team Members.
- Wonderful Chef prepared homemade meals every day in a social dining room.
- A wide variety of social and FUN recreational activities.
- Freedom from the concerns of maintenance, housekeeping, and laundry chores.
- Shuttle Services to get out and about.
- A Team that is available around the clock, dedicated to ensuring safety and contentment.
- Seniors can remain independent longer in a community that supports them.
- Most residents say once settled in, "I should have come sooner".
- Peace of mind for residents and their families.
Helpful Tips in Deciding which Senior Living Option is Best:
Sometimes a loved one's family is the first to know the peace of mind and the comfort that will come from living in a supportive community. Starting the conversation with a loved one is not always easy at the beginning, so go slowly with the conversation. Often it may take weeks to months to help a loved one make the decision and to move in. Patience is the virtue and the reward is that your loved one will remain independent, safer and happier.
- Talk with the people you know - friends, family, and health care professionals and ask for their recommendations. Word of mouth is always the best referral when it comes from someone you know and trust.
- Ask your loved one where they want to live - typically they already have a choice.
- Make a list of the services and amenities that are important to your loved one and you.
- Start your research. Call a home and request information. Ask if the home has the services and amenities that you desire, and ask about the cost.
- Book a visit to the home, so that you can experience the living spaces, the atmosphere and the friendly environment of the home. Families often visit first and then invite their loved one along for the next visit.
- When visiting a home be sure to stay for a meal. Look for the quality and variety of the meals, and the social atmosphere in the dining area. Ask for a copy of a sample Monthly Menu.
- Feel free to chat with the Team Members and the other residents at the home, and ask about their own experiences.
- Be sure to talk with the Wellness Team about the personal services that they provide.
- Ask for your loved one to be invited to and attend the home's next big social event - to let them experience the FUN. Ask for a copy of the Social and Activities Calendar.
- Shop and compare. Take your time, go at your own pace and do what feels right for you and your loved one.
Do what feels right, is timed right and is the best choice for your loved one.
We are always ready to help you and share with you the many benefits of Seniors Living today.
For more helpful information on Seniors Living please check out the ORCA website.
For more information, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions